Yes, Uber Partners and Riders!
Uber and other technology-based ridesharing services (ex. GrabCar, Easy Plus, Tripda) is NOW officially LEGAL in the Philippines. DOTC has approved and will be implementing a ride sharing regulation for them to operate in the country.
What is Transport Network Company (TNC)?
Ridesharing service providers are those that provide app-based services connecting private vehicle owners or drivers with people looking for a ride. In the new regulation, they will be under a new category of transport known as “Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)”.
DOTC will be imposing certain standards for TNC vehicles. Example, for a vehicle to qualify they must have the following:
- GPS tracking and navigation devices
- vehicle must be seven years old or below
- only sedans, Asian Utility Vehicles, Sports Utility Vehicles, and vans
Vehicle owners/operators will be required to obtain a Certificate of Public Convenience instead of the usual franchise license. Drivers must be screened and accredited by the TNCs and should be registered with Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB).
Updated August 2016:
These are the LTFRB Memorandum and DOTC Department Order that layout the terms and conditions as well as the implementing guidelines for TNCs and TNVS:
- Memorandum Circular No. 2015-015: Rules and Regulations to Govern the Accreditation of Transportation Network Companies
- Memorandum Circular No. 2015-016: Terms and Condition of a Certificate of Transport Network Company Accreditation
- Memorandum Circular No. 2015-017: Implementing Guidelines on the Acceptance of Applications for a Certificate of Public Convenience to Operate a Transportation Network Vehicle Service
- Memorandum Circular No. 2015-018: Terms and Conditions of a Certificate of Public Convenience to Operate Network Vehicle Service
- Department Order No. 2015-011 (revised version): Further Amending Department Order No.97-1097 to Promote Mobility
Other Related articles:
If you want to know how to be an Uber Manila Parter or Driver, refer to this post to get a step-by-step guide to be an Uber Manila Driver or Partner.Get Php 2000 Sign Up Reward when you use our Promo Code: QPKMY.
Click here to find out how to apply a promo code on the Uber app.