TNVS FAQs by UberMNLTips

After you’ve signed up as an Uber Partner, you now need to get TNVS Accreditation in accordance to the LTFRB Ridesharing Regulation.

Don’t worry, Uber will be facilitating the whole thing so you don’t need to physically go to LTFRB and secure your CPC (Certificate of Public Convenience) Franchise.

Before we go to the process and requirements, let’s first answer some FAQs to get a clearer picture of the LTFRB Regulation and the incidental TNVS Accreditation. Also, you might want to read this article about what TNVS and LTFRB Accreditation really means for Uber Partners.


Frequently Asked Questions

What is a TNC?

TNC or Transport Network Company is the web-based platform that provide ride-sharing services, such as Uber or Grab.

*These classifications were outlined in Memorandum Circular #2015-015 under the  Land Transportation Franchising & Regulatory Board (LTFRB).

What is TNVS?

Transport Network Vehicle Service (TNVS) refers to vehicle owners who provide transportation services using the Uber or Grab platform.

*These classifications were outlined in Memorandum Circular #2015-015 under the  Land Transportation Franchising & Regulatory Board (LTFRB).

What’s the difference between the Provisional Authority (PA) and the Certificate of Public Convenience (CPC)?

Certificate of Public Convenience (CPC )is referred to as the franchise or franchise permit.

  • The CPC is valid for one year.
  • In order to issue a CPC, the LTFRB must conduct a public hearing for you or your representative. Because this can take a little longer to process, the LTFRB can issue a Provisional Authority (PA) for a TNVS Operator to use for the first 45 days until the CPC is issued.


Provisional Authority is a temporary official permit recognized by the LTFRB for TNVS operations.

  • Uber will be assisting you in applying for your PA and CPC.
Are PAs and CPCs for TNVS operators exclusive to one TNC?

As per LTFRB's official response to UberMNLTips,

No. However, applicants must allege in their applications that they are accredited by both TNC’s.


Honestly, we haven't tried this ourselves yet since the TNCs process the PAs and CPCs on behalf of the partners. In as far as we know, Uber does not require exclusivity if you get the CPC from them. However, GrabCar requires exclusivity if the Peer got the CPC from them.

Who should apply for TNVS?

According to LTFRB (in one of their official response to us), it is the VEHICLE OWNER, name appearing in the ORCR and Sales Invoice must be the TNVS Applicant.


If you are a vehicle owner under a different Uber Partner, you will need to apply for TNVS. If you are an Uber Partner who does not own a vehicle, then please have the vehicle owner apply for TNVS accreditation.

Does the TNVS Applicant = Vehicle Owner need to be the Uber Partner?

As we mentioned above, VEHICLE OWNER = TNVS Applicant but he/she does NOT necessarily need to be the Uber Partner. you can still be an Uber partner and not necessarily be the owner of the vehicle (ex. you plan to manage a fleet but want to use the car of your friend, relative etc.). This is allowed as long as the vehicle owner (in this case, your friend or relative) is TNVS-accredited.

However, remember that even if you registered your vehicle in Uber under a different Uber Partner Account, you as the VEHICLE OWNER need to apply for the TNVS ACCREDITATION. 

What I don't own the vehicle? or I want my car to be managed under an Uber Partner account of another person?

As we mentioned above, VEHICLE OWNER must be the TNVS APPLICANT. You might also want to read on this article about how to get TNVS Accredited if the car is not in your name.

  • If you are an existing Uber Partner who does not own a vehicle, then please have the vehicle owner apply for TNVS accreditation.
  • If you are a vehicle owner under a different Uber Partner, you will need to apply for TNVS.
  • You can also arrange to have the vehicle transferred to your name by registering it via Transfer of Ownership with LTO.
Will Absolute Deed of Sale suffice?

Unfortunately, NO.

**UPDATE as of Sept. 25, 2015**

From an Official response of LTFRB to UberMNLTips, it seems a Deed of Absolute Sale is NOT really accepted. The TNVS Applicant's name must be the Vehicle Owner's name as reflected in the ORCR. Otherwise, the application will be rejected.

If you received your PA already but the ORCR still is under the original car owner, have it transferred to your name before passing the requirements for CPC. Otherwise, the application will be rejected.

Here's LTFRB's official response:

"It is the policy that it is indispensable that at the time of filing of the application, the unit proposed for operation must already be in the name of the applicant. You may ask LTO for the requirements of transfer of vehicle ownership.

For those applications which had already been accepted in the first three (3) batches, what is indispensable  is that at the time of the submission of the Formal Offer of Evidence during the hearing, the vehicle must already be in the name of the applicant-operator. Otherwise, the application will be dismissed."

What if I don't have ORCR yet? Will Sales Invoice suffice?

As per LTFRB's official response to UberMNLTips,

It may be accepted but the application will not be acted upon. Proof of LTO registration is necessary.  No LTO registration means that the vehicle is not yet authorized to ply the streets.  This is in line with the “no registration, no travel policy” of the LTO.


As per Uber,

For purposes of hearing the TNVS application, only the OR/CR is allowed since the sales invoice is only valid for 42 days from issuance. Thus, if partner only has sales invoice, he may upload the scanned copy thereof. However, when he claims his PA, he would need to provide a copy of his OR/CR.


Can corporations and/or partnerships be TNVS operators?

Yes. Requirements are provided under Memorandum Circular No. 2015-017.

REMEMBER: TNVS Applicant must be the Vehicle Owner. Hence, if you are applying for TNVS accreditation as a partnership/corporation, the vehicles must be under the name of the company. A Deed of Sale from incorporators to the corporation would NOT suffice. The vehicle's registration must be transferred to the corporation.

Can non-Filipino car owners living in the Philippines apply for LTFRB Accreditation?

Unfortunately, No. As per LTFRB's Official response to UberMNLTips,

It is explicit and absolute under Commonwealth Act No. 146  that an alien is not allowed to be given a franchise to operate a public  land transportation service.

Does the vehicle have to be brand new? How old is the allowed vehicle?

No, the vehicle does not need to be brand new. However, the car must be at least 3 years old or newer upon TNVS application. This means if you are applying for TNVS within 2015, your vehicle must be 2012 or newer.

You might want to read on a related article about 2011 cars being deactivated in the Uber system.

How many years can we use a car for TNVS (i.e. Uber or Grab)?

As per LTFRB and DOTC regulation, a car can be used as TNVS for 7 years from the first issuance of the CPC Franchise.

You can also read more about this in this related article.

Will the TNVS vehicle have yellow plate?

No, this is not true. TNVS vehicles will continue to have regular (green, or the newer black on white) plates.

The TNCs though are required to issue (removable) trade dress to the vehicles that should be displayed when the vehicle is in use for transport services.

Are hatchbacks and compact cars accepted by LTFRB?


Any 4-door sedan (including hatchbacks), AUV or SUV can be applied for. Two wheel vehicles, 2-door vehicles, pick-ups and vans with seating capacity of 10 or more are currently not accepted by the LTFRB.

Is there a min engine displacement requirement? (ex. more than 1.2L engine)

As per LTFRB, in their official response to us, there is NO MINIMUM ENGINE DISPLACEMENT  REQUIREMENT.

Are Honda cars allowed?

As per LTFRB, Yes, provided Honda Philippines allows the owner-operator to have the unit applied and operated as a TNVS.

We've heard Honda Pasig is allowing Honda for Uber. Just check though if the warranty of the vehicle will be voided.

I don't have TNVS accreditation yet, can I go online and accept trips?

As per Uber, operations as usual.

online uber

As per LTFRB, in their Official Response to UberMNLTips,

Q: Can operators with pending TNVS application still accept trips? Can LTFRB provide us leeway?

Answer: Yes, provided applicant is issued a provisional authority to operate.  If no PA is issued pending application, the acceptance of trips means operating a colorum vehicle.  It is clearly provided in Memorandum Circular No. 2015-016 that TNC’s shall only allow duly franchised TNVS vehicles to provide a pre-arranged ride through its internet-based digital technology application. Leeway is that applicant should secure a PA pending disposition of the application.


Use your best judgement.  ;)

How much will TNVS application cost?
Item Amount
Filing Fee for CPC 520
Provisional Authority Filing Fee 260
PAMI Passenger Accident Insurance 1089
TOTAL 1869


  • Uber will deduct Php1,869  from your weekly payout one week after the Provisional Authority is issued.
  • Covers first two vehicles; an additional P70.00 will be paid for each additional vehicle
  • PAMI, or Passenger Accident Management and Insurance Agency, Inc. is the government-accredited insurance coverage that is required by the LTFRB for all TNVS applicants.
  • As per LTFRB regulation, You are required to have this coverage on top of any other existing insurance you currently have.
  • PAMI Passenger Accident Insurance cost is per vehicle.
  • Uber willl get the PAMI for Partners.

Ready to Prepare your TNVS Requirements?

Refer to UberMNLTips’ TNVS Guide to help you prepare the requirements and know the submission process.

Learn More

Uber's TNVS Guide

Refer here for Uber's Official TNVS Guide


Download Forms

Download forms and Prepare your Requirements.

Submit Requirements

Ready to Submit your Requirements? Upload here.

Share This